- bring together dahlia
lovers and develop
the cultivation of this flower in the province of Québec
- encourage the exchange of information and specimens between members
- meetings are generally held on Saturday mornings at the the Montreal Botanical Garden.
The activities are:
- The selection of new varieties by power-point and group orders;
- Annual meeting and elections, annual reports from the Society's officers, recap of the year ;
- The annual tuber sale;
- Seminars on dahlia cultivation, multiplication, etc...
- Presence at various spring shows in the Montréal area;
- Garden tour and picnic day;
- Annual dahlia show (mid September) where members are invited to exhibit their most beautiful flowers in a friendly competition;
- Tuber splitting workshop
The "Quebec-Dahlia" is the Society's bulletin that gives each member all the information he or she needs: lists of dahlias available at the annual tuber sale; general information on the coming events; tips and tricks, etc. (in French only).
Where do our dahlias come
Most of our dahlias cannot be found in gardening centers. They are hybrids that have repeatedly won at major shows. They come from growers from all over the world: England, France, New Zealand, United States, etc. We also offer some exclusive hybrids from local growers.
For our members, these dahlias usually cost 2.50$ and for the non member 3.50$ per tuber, which is much cheaper than "commercial" varieties found in nurseries. Our members can choose from hundreds of rare and beautiful hybrids.
The Quebec Dahlia Society is an affiliated member of:
- la Fédération des Sociétés d'horticulture et d'Écologie du Québec
- the American Dahlia Society
The Quebec Dahlia Society is a non-profit organization opened to all. The annual membership fee is 20$, and runs from January 1 to December 31.
Most of our events are held in French, but many of our members and officers are bilingual.